The Holy Synod building
Loading google map. Please wait!
4 Oborishte Str.
The Holy Synod building, seat of the Holy Synod of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, was built after the design of architects Petko Momchilov and Yordan Milanov, in the spirit of the so-called National Romanticism style. The red and gold majolica tiled friezes wrapping the building, were created and executed by Haralampi Tachev and Stefan Dimitrov. The mosaic portrait over the central gate depicts three prelates with historic merits in the struggle for an independent Bulgarian church: Ilarion Makariopolski, Avksentiy Veleshki and Paisiy Plovdivski. The portrait was the work of artists Anton Mitov and Haralampi Tachev. The building was completed over 1909–1910.